Friday, April 24, 2015

Blog post on "Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky (more book club posts; scroll down)

            In the touching novel, "Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky, Charlie is a high school boy who grows up in many different ways by being exposed to one year of a new school and new friends. Charlie views the world from innocent eyes and an open mind, and I feel that his way of seeing things plays a major part in his adventure of growing up both mentally and physically. I believe that that his friends helping him grow up takes on a major role in Charlie’s life.

            Charlie’s new friends help him mature quicker than he ever would have without them; they expose the good and bad sides of life to him. One example of this is;
“My father came in and sat on the edge of my bed. He lit a cigarette and started telling me about sex. He gave me this talk a few years before, but it was more biological then.” This shows me that Charlie’s understanding and perception is becoming more complex and structured the more he learns from his peers. The more he learns from them, the more he understands how he should grow up, whether he learned from bad or good experiences.


            In all, wallflowers like Charlie might take extra long to grow up and accept who they are because they have no one to confide in. This is why I think that Charlie meeting his friends had a huge impact on his life because they exposed him to life in a way that others couldn’t, and this made him grow up.